Thursday, October 28, 2010

Friday is Still a Day of Penance

The USCCB requires Catholics in the United States to do penance on Friday throughout the year, not just during Lent.  Abstinence from meat is a recommended penance, but other types of penance can be substituted.  The CCCB similarly instructs our Canadian compadres..  I'm ashamed to say that I had never heard of this requirement until recently.  I was under the impression that abstinence on Fridays was done away with by the Second Vatican Council.  Tomorrow, we will have an opportunity to offer penance in union with Christ and in obedience to the Church.  Let's take that opportunity. 

USCCB Regulations

3 comments:

  1. Patrick, 1st a little housekeeping, you have the CCCB link for the USCCB as well as the CCCB.

    When the regs 1st changed in the 60s mention was made of substituting another penance, nmentioned but not emphasised. & over time conveniently ignored until. . . Well your not hearing became the norm. Fortunately the word is getting out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. My parents always had me do it, but I thought that was an extra thing. I bow at your feet, humbled as usual.

    ReplyDelete