Sunday, February 6, 2011

Communion Line OCD

At Mass today, the Communion line I was in slowed down because the the priest ran out of the Eucharist.  As he went back to the altar for more, several people went to the other line where the extraordinary minister continued to hand out the Sacred Body.  I considered changing lines but I couldn't bring myself to do it.  "It's on the wrong side of the aisle!" I thought.  Also, leaving the line that I started in seemed disloyal.  It took an extra few seconds to receive the Eucharist but it was totally worth it.

5 comments:

  1. "extraordinary minister" I have to cheer when I see that someone actually uses the right term. BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad that the extraordinary has become ordinary. A master of ceremonies told me that in ye olde days all of the priests in the rectory would come out to distribute the Eucharist at every Mass. Nowadays there are too few vocations to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "ye olde days" aka long ago, in a galaxy far far away when I was a youth.
    :)
    Back then we had 4-5 priests at my parish. Usually we had 2 helping the celebrant at communion. They would come out sometime after the Our Father wearing a surplice & a short purple stole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Communion line OCD is a direct consequence of pew OCD. I get queasy if I don't sit on the epistle side - preferably in the same pew. It's the Catholic way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same here! Maybe it's because I'm right handed.

    ReplyDelete