Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sex in Heaven? Who Cares?

When modern theologians discuss heaven, they often speculate about the existence or nonexistence of sex there.  On the Catholic Answers forum, I read someone declare that if there is no sex in heaven then few people would want to go to there.  Honestly, I couldn't care less about conjugal relations in the afterlife.

Now I cannot speak from experience.  Between obedience to Church teaching and a lack of social skills, I have managed  to remain celibate my entire life.  But I do know that the Beatific Vision and the New Jerusalem are going to be way better than the best... um.... marital experiences.

That's not to say that I don't have an opinion on the subject.  It seems pretty clear to me that there will be no sex in heaven.  In Luke's Gospel Jesus says, "The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. But those who are considered worthy of taking part in that age and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage, and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels."  If marriage does not exist it follows that the marriage act won't either.  Not that it should matter to us.  We should look to heaven with joyful hope, not anxiety about what it is like.

7 comments:

  1. Well, ultimately, what should marriage (and sex) point us towards? What does any sacrament point us towards? The ultimate happiness we shall share (hopefully) with God in heaven. They are a means to an end, not the end itself. (I hope I am wording this correctly.)

    BTW, I've heard similar comments about beer: "If there's not beer in heaven, then I don't wanna go." It misses the point completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Between obedience to Church teaching and a lack of social skills I have managed to remain celibate my entire life" made me chuckle :D Same here. I'm sure we both have better social skills than we give ourselves credit for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And thanks for putting that out there. It brings me so much joy and hope to know there are men who value purity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ranter: Exactly.

    not a minx: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to ask, so do they think there will be sex in Hell? That question should show how ridiculous the whole no sex in heaven attitude is.

    As for what it will be like, I am on the same page as you, the Beatific vision will top everything else.

    As for beer, everyone knows that in Heaven there is no beer, that's why we drink it here. . . . :)

    Besides, given the quality of wine Jesus makes for wedding banquets, who will need beer????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Al: So you Italians will get wine but what do we Anglo-Celtic folks have to look forward to? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wine, wine & more wine.
    BTW if the recently published "The Loser Letters (Mary Eberstadt, 2010 Ignatius Press, & recommended by P.J. O'Rourke) is to be beleived, if you plan on going to Heaven, then you better start brushing up on your Italiano as well.

    ReplyDelete