Monday, April 11, 2011

Frenemies

Via a link at Cartago Delanda Est, I read a strange essay on Salon.com.  The essay, titled I can't believe my best friend is a Republican, is a public confession of sorts by Taffy Brodesser-Akner who is surprised that she is capable of friendship with Janet, a Republican.  Overall, the piece came out in support of bipartisan friendship, but I can't understand why it is even an issue.

It seems obvious to me that you can be friends with someone of a different political persuasion.  I have liberal friends, and I know liberals who have conservative friends.  I really do not see how this is even worth writing an essay about.  The author seems to be overly emotional about politics and I suppose this is why her disagreements with her friend make her so upset.  She writes,
I began directing all my anger toward the Republican Party at Janet. On the day that Congress voted to defund Planned Parenthood, I found myself furious at Janet, just Janet, as the face of all that was bad in the world. Feeling sad and deflated, I wandered over to her house, unable to look her in the eye, asking her why? How? To what end?
After calming down, Mrs. Akner decides that Janet isn't actually an evil woman hater, but that she just acts like one for some reason.  The author's emotional meltdown over funding for a few condoms is amusing to me.  I believe that Planned Parenthood kills millions of people but I am not particularly distraught that some of my friends want that organization to receive public funds.  No pro-choice person I know believes that abortion is murder, so I am not horrified that they support Planned Parenthood.  I know that they want to do what they think is right within their flawed ethical framework.  Is that so strange?

1 comment:

  1. I've noticed over the years that it is the more hardcore liberal a person is, the harder it is for them to accept that anyone might disagree with them. So I can understand why it is an issue with her. But to write a essay? I agree with your assessment, why?

    ReplyDelete