Friday, May 20, 2011

Don't Sniff the Antlers

Lance Morrow writing in Smithsonian Magazine,
Around the year 1330, a poet and Buddhist monk named Kenko wrote Essays in Idleness (Tsurezuregusa)—an eccentric, sedate and gemlike assemblage of his thoughts on life, death, weather, manners, aesthetics, nature, drinking, conversational bores, sex, house design, the beauties of understatement and imperfection.
One or two of his essays are purely informational (not to say weird).  One of my favorites is essay 49, which reads in its entirety: “You should never put the new antlers of a deer to your nose and smell them. They have little insects that crawl into the nose and devour the brain.”
I'm not so sure about Kenko's advice.  I just sniffed the antlers of the whitetail mount on my wall and my brain is perfectly finasdkfjasekjfiojsspaasokihph

3 comments:

  1. I'll stick with "Don't eat the yellow snow!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Al: Not very relevant to this Floridian but it's good advice in your frozen home of Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That explains the Facebook status. Wow.

    ReplyDelete