Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Pope is a Marshwiggle

"Very likely, what with enemies, and mountains, and rivers to cross, and losing our way, and next to nothing to eat, and sore feet, we’ll hardly notice the weather." -Puddleglum

My family members sometimes call me Puddleglum, after the Marshwiggle character in The Silver Chair, a book in the Chronicles of Narnia.  Marshwiggles are swamp dwelling Narnian pessimists who spend their time fishing and forecasting misery.  I am called Puddleglum because my family thinks I'm being overly pessimistic when I tell them that we're all doomed.  However, there are those who share my pessimistic outlook.  In his interview with Peter Seewald titled God and the World, the Holy Father, then a Cardinal said, "Nowadays nothing seems less tolerated than what people call pessimism-and which is often in fact just realism."  Ratzinger then predicts that the Church will shrink and declares Europe to be a lost cause.  I feel somewhat vindicated by the knowledge that like me, the Pope is a Marshwiggle.

4 comments:

  1. "what people call pessimism - which is often in fact just realism."
    Puddlegum was a pessimist. Papa benedetto & you would come under the term realist which is a whole lot different then pessimism.

    Besides, I don't think either of you have webbed feet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Puddleglum wasn't being sincere, so the point is false

      Delete
    2. Puddleglum was exaggerating, but he was certainly a pessimist.

      Delete
  2. I love both Puddlegum & Eeyore...but I like to think of myself more as a stupidly optimistic realist

    ReplyDelete