Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Message From a Gnostic Missionary

Last month I wrote a post on the Gnostic themes in Tron: Legacy.  A few weeks ago I noticed a new comment on that post.  I don't want to make fun of anyone who leaves a respectful comment on my blog so I will simply say that I found the message very strange.  The comment in full:


Amazing finding of yours that went wrong Patrick, let me argue against, delete my post if you want but keep in contact with me as I find your ideas somewhat interesting.

Let me start by saying that I'm a Gnostic Missionary, and an ex Catholic. I was looking for pictures of old CLU meditating for my meditation course and I found your blog.

It surprises me that being a Catholic you actually found the Gnostic message in TRON Legacy. When the movie was about to come out my master told us to watch it as it had a gnostic message I presume left by him.

Yes it has a Gnostic message which will probably go against your catholic beliefs only if you think it does;

The real message is the teaching of the "Demiurge" the blind god creator of the physical world. People believe this to be merely literary, yet the true meaning is deeper:

We are the Demiurge, we are creators of the physical world, it is said that man is the architect of his own destiny, yet by trying to make the world perfect and enjoyable we have created an imperfect world, the same thing happens in Tron Legacy: Old CLU or Flint or I don't remember his name creates a computer world intended to be perfect yet he gets trapped in his own creation.

Look at our world; who created our innefective governments?, who chooses our leaders?, who created the financial systems with all those flaws?, why is it so hard to pay taxes so that you need to hire an accountant to do so?, why do you have to make a line and collect so many documents to get an approval for anything?. All of those troubled things are artifacts of our own creation, we are suffering and trapped in a world that we have created.

The computer semi gods whose name I don't remember that are described as perfect and innocent where Quora comes from represent mankind before the fall of Paradise.

Young Flint and Quora are represented as disciples who created light on their own and were able to trascend this computer world to a superior realm, which is the same teaching Jesus the Christ gives us.

At the end, being Gnostic or Catholic or Jewish or Buddhist or whatever the message is always the same: That we need to follow Christ, or Buddha,etc. Which is the path of liberation, in order to perfect ourselves and transcend our flaws to reach the state of enlightenment they reached, which is the end of suffering and to reach heaven as you may call it.

By the way how do this gnostic messages make it to these movies?, same procedure as the movie "Inception", a master goes into a director's dream and creates an inception of the message, the direction might be an atheist or whatever but he find his dream inspiration clever and puts this ideas into the movie.

Other Gnostic Messages in movies, take a look at:

Matrix Trilogy (full of them)

Thor (Father sends his son(human part) to the phsyical world to learn in order to become perfect. The Sephiroth Tree and multiple dimensions are also talked about by Thor).

Inception.

etc.





I didn't really know how to respond to this so I kept it short.  My reply:

Thank you for commenting. Sorry for the late reply.

I do not know enough about modern Gnosticism to present a comprehensive argument against it, but I want to answer one of your points.

The Synoptic Gospels are consistent in their portrayal of Christ as savior and God. He is not "enlightened" he is enlightenment. I suppose you believe in one or more of the Gnostic gospels that say something very different about Jesus. You can call Jesus a Gnostic if you want but you and I believe in two very different and mutually exclusive people called Jesus.

3 comments:

  1. Patrick, the only main difference between modern gnosticism & that from the early Church era is how they spread the message. The basic message is still the same, inner enlightenment that enables us to transcend the physical.
    Jesus came to redeem creation, not transcend it. (Rom 8:22)
    Also, much of this person's statement is a prime example of relativism that Papa Benedetto has often spoken out against.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Al: You are right about the relativism. That is the part I tried to address in my response.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patrick, I agree that the comment posted was strange. However, I
    commend you for your unwillingness to engage an odd but otherwise
    respectful comment with anything less than reciprocal respect.
    Well done.

    Snark is cheap, as about 30 seconds spent on the internet will
    prove.

    ReplyDelete