Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Whittaker Chambers Prophecy

The great ex-Communist Whittaker Chambers said that for a nation to survive, it must not become "indifferent to God."  The implication of this statement are disturbing, for the Western World, Europe in particular, has become indifferent, even hostile to God.  The Soviet Union lost the Cold War, but I am not convinced that the West won.

From A Letter to my Children, the forward to the book Witness:

Communism is what happens when, in the name of Mind, men free themselves from God.  But its view of God, its knowledge of God, its experience of God, is what alone gives character to a society or a nation, and meaning to its destiny.  Its culture, the voice of this character, is merely that view, knowledge, experience, of God, fixed by its most intense spirits in terms intelligible to the mass of men.  There has never been a society or a nation without God.  But history is cluttered with the wreckage of nation that became indifferent to God and died.

3 comments:

  1. OMGosh - Witness is one of my all time favorite books. Have you read Cold Friday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not, but I understand it was also written by Chambers. I will have to check it out.

      Delete
  2. "The Soviet Union lost the Cold War, but I am not convinced that the West won."
    Given how things are in the USA & Europe, you could very well be right.
    PS, I think our "Founding Fathers" would wholeheartedly agree with Chambers.

    ReplyDelete