Monday, August 27, 2012

Apostasy in Kurdistan

After we rode out of Alqosh, I thought about something that had disturbed me back in the town.  The local Bishop had been very hospitable, offering us tea and soda in his sitting room, a now familiar routine.  He told us about the church in the region and offered some humorous advice.  "Never become a Bishop" he said, "When I was just a priest I could do what I wanted, but now that I am a Bishop I cannot."  At one point, his excellency was asked about Protestant missionaries who try to convert the Chaldeans.  At this question, the bishop became visibly angry, and denounced the people who try to convert his flock.  The bishop's anger is completely understandable, the last thing that Christians in the Middle East need is division.  However, I found the next thing the bishop said to be disturbing.  He said that to apostatize was to betray ones' people.  This sounded to me like a general condemnation of conversions, not only of "sheep stealing" by Protestants, but evangelism by anyone.  I asked a learned expat about this as our bus rolled away from Alqosh.  He offered a disquieting and I believe correct, theory. 

The Chaldean bishop condemns conversion because if any Muslims in the area were to convert to Christianity, all the Christians in Alqosh would be at risk.  Apostasy is punished by death in Islamic law and Kurdish attacks on Alqosh have happened before.  Islamic attacks on Alqosh occurred until as as late as 1969.  Christians in the Middle East are in a very difficult position.  Ours is an evangelical faith.  We are supposed to preach the Gospel to non-Christians, but if the Chaldeans were to try, they would get killed.

2 comments:

  1. Sad but unfortunately true, this is what would happen, just like your friend said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick,


    I am a small publisher of Catholic novels - Catacombs Press (formerly Lyons Den Publishing), based in Los Angeles.



    I have a title, The Fatima Code, that I am offering to you as a complimentary review copy . We would be very grateful if you or others you know may read it.



    The Fatima Code is a play on Noah's Ark ... Only this time it's Mary's Ark - How the Church survives a global attack coordinated by the world's elites.



    See our first comments after a week and a half running at www.fisheaters.com



    Visit our web site www.thefatimacode.com for a full synopsis of the book. If you would like to download a complimentary review copy, please email promo@thefatimacode.com and you will automatically receive the links for downloading to all the major readers or onto your PC/Desktop as a PDF.



    If you, or others you know who may be interested in reading The Fatima Code, might give us a comment or supporting blurb, it would be very helpful. We are accumulating a list of comments to post on our website.



    If you have a comment about The Fatima Code, please let me know. My contact is: kevin@thefatimacode.com or catacombspress@gmail.com



    Hope to hear from you soon,



    Kevin

    ReplyDelete