Saturday, December 22, 2012

A Bear is Not a Hog

I've been hog hunting in the Aucilla Wildlife Management Area over the past week.  I've seen a herd of 20 piglets, some adult hogs, a couple of racoons, and most impressive, a large black bear, a relatively uncommon sight in Northern Florida.
 
I missed an easy shot at a hog yesterday, but the bear sighting today made up for it.  I stalked up on the sound of the bear from a dirt road, thinking it was a hog.  I realized it was a bruin rather than a porcine when it walked onto the road about 30 yards in front of me.  The bear looked at me for a few seconds, was unimpressed, finished crossing, and disappeared into the swamp.

2 comments:

  1. Decided not to do a Daniel Boone imitation & "kill a bar" I see.
    Hopefully none of your hunting trips are out of the Elmer Fudd school of hunting, enless:

    http://youtu.be/nI9Nbt7oJG0

    ReplyDelete