Friday, December 14, 2012

The Bazaar

I finished my semester and am back to blogging.  This should be my last photo essay on Kurdistan.

A multitude of stores, sidewalk shops, and food stands operate in the Erbil bazaar, in the shadow of the Citadel.  The heart of the bazaar is inside a large enclosed structure roofed with corrugated metal.  Storefronts of various sizes are packed together and grouped by product.  These include,

Food
















Jewelery
















Metal-ware





















Clothing
 
video 


Vendors sell food from carts and stands interspersed throughout the bazaar, even during Ramadan.
Tangled wires hang above the shoppers, keeping the store lights on.


Outside, a ring of shops and restaurants surround the inner bazaar.

















video 

The bazaar area extends outside of this circle, and includes a variety of shops, including the rug store below.  The wool rugs were handmade in Kurdistan, and the tapestries were probably machine made in Iran.  The rug I purchased is my favorite souvenir.  

These last couple of items are from stores outside of the bazaar but I believe them to be worth sharing.

At the "Family Mall," I found these pollywog dolls.  Dolls like these were once popular in the west but have disappeared, for obvious reasons.


















At a grocery store, I found a multitude of canned hot dogs.  I cannot imagine that they taste very good.














This photo was taken at another grocery store.  The Kurds are not squeamish about the origin of their meat.













Shopping in Kurdistan was in many ways like shopping anywhere else.  The major differences I noticed was the mass of small businesses of various types all crammed together.  I suppose that Iraq has not yet been afflicted with zoning laws.  In addition, small family owned businesses outnumbered large chain stores.  This made shopping slightly less convenient but a lot more interesting.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see your back to blogging. Hope you are recovered from the past semester.

    That last picture reminds me of the time, my grandfather & an uncle buthcered a 1/2 a hog in our kitchen when I was a lad.

    Agree with the hot dog concern. Did I see the Del Monte version of Spam in there with the rest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm recovered and looking forward to an easier semester next year.

      When we butchered a hog my dad shot my mom wouldn't let us do in the kitchen.

      If they had Del Monte, the label was translated into Arabic.

      Delete
  2. Its such as you learn my thoughts! You seem to understand so much approximately this,
    such as you wrote the guide in it or something. I believe that you just could do with
    a few % to power the message home a little bit, but instead of that, this is fantastic blog. A great read. I'll definitely be back.
    My site - UGG ブーツ

    ReplyDelete