Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The American Catastrophe

Many people seem to think that America is in a state of sudden decline because of the Obama administration, but they seem to have forgotten about the real blight on our nation.  If America could be said to have fallen, it was not when Barack Obama was elected president, or when Obamacare was passed, but 40 years ago today, when the Supreme Court decided Roe v. Wade.  Since then, infanticide has been considered a fundamental right enshrined in our founding document.

With their decision, the Supreme Court majority betrayed reason and the constitution, but the people are mostly to blame for the ongoing mass murder in our country.  I was not around in the 70s, so perhaps I am ill-equipped to judge, but I cannot help but feel some resentment towards my parents' and grandparents' generation.  American citizens and those they elect have had the power to ban abortion and they have failed to do so.

Maybe pro-lifers did everything they could, but I cannot comprehend how the American people allowed legalized abortion to stand.  Why were there no mass strikes when abortion became a constitutional right?  Why was there no talk of secession?  Secession is probably not a great idea, but one wonders why there were there were no movements to break away from what had become an officially pro-abortion nation.  Why is the legalization of infanticide a mere footnote in modern American history?

The more time elapses since Roe, the more entrenched abortion becomes.  The pro-life movement is stronger, more tech-savvy, and younger than ever, but the population at large does not want to get rid of abortion.  Only about 3% of the population consider the murder of the unborn to the be the most important political issue.  For the foreseeable future, Roe is here to stay and so is abortion.  One day my children will wonder why their country allows abortion, and why their father's generation didn't stop it.

6 comments:

  1. I think something that occurred as that people were as ignorant of what abortion is as many were ignorant about what Obamacare is, and so those things are allowed to get a foothold before anyone is really aware of what is actually going on.
    I am a woman that had an abortion 30 years ago; an 18 year old that was fed all the lines making it a palatable and a viable (no pun intended) option. I was not a stupid girl, just vulnerable and feeling desperate. Those peddling abortion had their lines down pat, while anyone who spoke to me from the other side, did not.
    These days, the prolife movement has its stuff together, and I hold hope as time goes forward. I only hope Obamacare does not gain such a foothold before people wake up to all its grisly realities. If I had to guess, I would think not, as there are a good many groups working to expose it.
    Blessings~nice blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your experience. I am very sorry for what happened and I wish I could say something to help.

      It makes sense that the pro-life movement was not always as effective as it is now. It started in reaction to legalized abortion, and the pro-choicers had been working on their sales pitch for decades by then.

      I just checked out your blog and I like it. God Bless!

      Delete
  2. I think the young are "getting it." On wandering around Facebook, I see more and more young people that find abortion reprehensible. The problem is they are now having more and more illegitimate children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you point out, even as more young people become pro-life, the traditional family is collapsing all around us. If there is any hope of stopping abortion, the family, the domestic state in which morality is taught, must be preserved.

      Delete
  3. I was around back then. I was 17. To be honest, for those of us who were your age group now, we weren't really aware of what happened. We also weren't aware of how much this was more of a spiritual battle rather than just a political battle.
    ObamaCare is just the latest step in what has become the growing "culture of death" in our country.
    Ending it must start on our knees in prayer & penance.
    BTW not to plug my blog, OK, it's a plug, check out my post on the past 40 years since RvW & DvB to get a little more insight into why I say what I said.

    ReplyDelete