Friday, May 24, 2013

Divorced from Reality

I was reading The Great Divorce for the first time, and I found it especially relevant to my own life.  Lewis writes,
There have been men before now who got so interested in proving the existence of God that they came to care nothing for God Himself . .  as if the good Lord had nothing to do but exist!  There have been some who were so occupied in spreading Christianity that they never gave a thought to Christ!
I sometimes find myself thinking of God as a interesting abstraction and Christianity as a mere social force.  In reality, Christianity is more than theology, it is a relationship with God, and that God is not just a necessarily existent, all powerful being, but a person to whom we owe our greatest love and devotion.

4 comments:

  1. Have you finished it yet?
    I was about your age when I 1st read it. Have read it several times since. Every so often I find myself in a situation that reminds me of 1 of the passengers on the bus & how they, rightly or wrongly, decided to deal with the choice facing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished it and I really liked it. I keep thinking about the scene in which immortal souls move their bodies on a chessboard.

      Delete
  2. Christianity is woven into the fabric of the Universe. It's more than religion, it's a way humans access greater reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well put! By the way, the book you recently authored on Catechism from scripture looks really interesting!

      Delete