Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Surprising Quotations

Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself have founded great empires.  But our empires were founded on force.  Jesus alone founded His empire on love, and to this day millions would die for Him.  I think I understand something of human nature, and I tell you, all these were men, and I am a man.  Jesus Christ was more than man.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

In my opinion it is a grand book.... Morally and philosophically I find myself in agreement with virtually the whole of it.
- John Maynard Keynes on Hayek's The Road to Serfdom

Can’t you say "shit!" like everyone else?
- Blessed Pope John XXIII admonishing a worker who used the Lord's name in vain 

I regard him as a great economist and a great man.
- Paul Krugman on Milton Friedman

Secession is nothing but revolution.  The framers of our Constitution never exhausted so much labor, wisdom, and forbearance in its formation, and surrounded it with so many guards and securities, if it was intended to be broken by every member of the Confederacy at will.  It was intended for “perpetual union,” so expressed in the preamble, and for the establishment of a government, not a compact, which can only be dissolved by revolution or the consent of all the people in convention assembled.
- Robert E. Lee January, 1861

There is hardly a pioneer's hut which does not contain a few odd volumes of Shakespeare.  I remember reading the feudal drama of Henry V for the first time in a log cabin.
-Alexander De Tocqueville, Democracy in America

It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the Pope about it.  Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the Pope.
- Blessed Pope John XXIII

Reason must be left behind for it is the enemy of faith.
- Martin Luther

1 comment:

  1. What Pope John XXIII alleged said was approximately this: "Può lei non dice la "merda"! come tutti altro?" Merda or merde, depending on the dialect used, being the operative word.

    ReplyDelete